Monday, April 8, 2013

Keep Running


Author’s Note: This is an extra personal narrative I wrote about the time my friends and I ran around my friend, Allison’s neighborhood and played a common game known as, The Hunger Games.

“Let’s head back to the house,” I motioned.  As Macey turned around she shuttered, “Do you see that?”  “Wait,” I squinted, “that’s our other group of alliances.”  We sprinted in their direction, until we knew we had no chance in catching up.  We made our way back to Allison’s house and tiptoed up her front porch and without taking our eyes away from what laid behind us we cautiously closed the front door.  I signaled for Macey to stay quiet as we crept our way towards the staircase.  We peered down into the darkness while we listened for the voices of those who were out to get us.  I held my breath as I took my first step down Allison’s flight of stairs and when I had finally assured myself no one was down there I took another two steps.  I dragged Macey down the flight of stairs only to be met with an empty, motionless basement.  We ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut.  Seconds later a bang echoed through the house.

Macey turned the lights off as I downloaded a flashlight app on my iPod.  I shone the light on my pale faced friend and begged for her to quit breathing so heavily.  My phone started vibrating in my pocket and after I check the caller ID, I answered.  Allison spoke first, “Hello?”  “Hi,” I whispered back.  Allison seemed concerned, “Where are you and Macey  “We’re in your basement hiding in the bathroom from Abby, Savannah, and your little sister, they’re upstairs” I replied shakily.  “They just left, we’re on the porch outside the basement, meet us out here.”  I pushed myself off the bathroom door and Macey opened the door.  I walked to the glass door and took a quick peek upstairs.  “Macey, c’mon,” I said harshly.  Macey scampered across the wood floor and met me at the glass door just as three faces appeared.  Allison waved to me as Macey tried to unlock the door.  It just wasn’t budging and Allison gave up and told us to go through the front door and meet them on her driveway.

Macey and I ran up Allison’s stairs and made it to her driveway just as Katie, Melody, and Allison did.  It didn’t take long and my life was put at jeopardy.  “Alright I’ll do it,” but not without a catch, “as long as you don’t leave me behind.”  “Deal,” everyone agreed.  The plan was to call Savannah and tell her that my alliances left me and when I was trying to catch up with them I twisted my ankle.  There was just one glitch in the plan though, Savannah wanted to know where I was.  I made up a lie and hid behind Allison’s house waiting for Abby, Savannah, and Allison’s little sister to come out her front door and attack.  “We can see you and we knew it was a fake call,” Abby shouted and after that it wasn’t long before Allison, Katie, Macey, Melody, and I were running down the streets from Abby and Savannah, who hurt her ankle a while back and wasn’t allowed to run on it.

“Keep running,” I stammer through heavy breathes.  With each thud of my heart against my chest I fell further behind.  My legs wobbled underneath me and my feet went numb.  I sprinted up to one of my alliances.  “Just a little further,” she heaved.  My lungs gasped for air as I held my breath making my way for a shrub that five others were camouflaged behind.  Needles of ice poked through my thin leggings as I laid motionless behind the shrub.  The footsteps of those whom walked our path pounded through my ears.  Easily our cover could be blown if everyone kept mumbling plans back and forth.  “Quit talking,” I forcefully whispered.  Everyone grew silent.  Minutes passed by before Melody willingly snuck a look to see if Abby and Savannah had passed by the bush without noticing that we were hiding behind it.  Unluckily Abby and Savannah were still staking out in front of the bush, not wanting to make the first move and get caught.  Abby swerved away from Melody, who had started chasing after her, and everyone popped out behind the bush and made a dash to save Melody.

After a few fake killings took place we all decided to finish the game up and walk back to the house.  Allison’s mom greeted us at the front door and took a quick head count telling us that our parents would be here in around a half an hour.  We all sat around the kitchen’s island and hydrated ourselves with bottles of water and also munched on some apples.  My friends and I talked about how we couldn’t believe that even pretending to be in the Hunger Games for under an hour was beyond tough and challenged each and every one of us.  The talents we never knew we had were tested.  The whole concept of the Hunger Games was scary and at the end of the day we all agreed that if our world were to come to, The Hunger Games for entertainment, we would all volunteer as tributes for each other.  

2 comments: